Welcome to our town and community, located 45 miles from both Columbia, SC and Augusta, GA, and 25 miles from both Aiken and Orangeburg. Settlement here in the pines between the Edisto River’s North and South forks began as early as 1756 and Springfield was chartered in 1887. What we have to share today has been developing ever since.
Also in this building are the Springfield Museum and the Orangeburg County Military Museum. Visitors, including group tours, are welcome.
Ride through our historic downtown district with its early 1900s storefronts, jailhouse, and post office. Shops and restaurants are waiting for you to visit. Between one of the town’s two original livery stables and the livestock market, site of the region’s largest small animal sale, you will see the engine still able to run a cotton gin.
Frog Jump Park has a gazebo and picnic tables; Bennett Park has a shelter, grills, restrooms, and playground equipment. The mile-long greenway where the railroad used to run provides a historic interpretive walking trail through the middle of town. The railroad platform and depot are in use today.
Historic houses built in the late 1800s and early 1900 are found all over town on streets surveyed and named by Captain John Gabriel Guignard III of Evergreen Plantation above Dean Swamp. His ancestor, John Gabriel Guignard, was the surveyor in charge of laying out South Carolina’s capital, Columbia, in 1786.
Dean Swamp just north of Springfield is the site of an early church, cemetery, millpond and Revolutionary War battlefield. Many other churches and cemeteries are located in and near town.
The Springfield Flea Market, oldest in the state, draws thousands of vendors and customers each Saturday.
Public landings give access to the Edisto River, South fork just outside of town on Highways #3 and #39. Camping facilities are available at Aiken State Natural Area 13 miles away. Edisto River, North Fork access and a large public campground are 12 miles away at Poole’s Mill on Highway #3.
For information: 803-258-3152