For Emergencies Dial 911
For general police questions between 9am-5pm dial 803-258-3152
Visit us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/springfieldscpolice/?modal=admin_todo_tour
Welcome to the Springfield Police Department
Chief of Police
Judge Steven V. Morrone
New laws involving golf carts:
A golf cart now has to be permitted by the State of South Carolina, with a permit decal and proper registration issued from the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Registration will be granted upon the owner presenting proof of ownership and liability insurance for the golf cart and paying a $5 fee.
Permits must be replaced every five years, or at the time the permit holder changes their address.
All validation decals will be issued for a period of 12 months, except for carts which do not require the payment of property taxes.
While operating a golf cart, the driver must have the following in his or her possession:
- The registration certificate issued by the department.
- Proof of liability insurance for the golf cart.
- A valid driver’s license. A person operating a permitted golf cart must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver’s license.
Other rules for golf carts:
- A golf cart can only be operated during day light hours.
- A permitted golf cart may be operated within four miles of the address on the registration certificate and only on a secondary highway or street.
- A golf cart cannot be operated on a bike path.
- Must be operated only on a highway for which the posted speed limit is 35 miles an hour or less.